Apr 8, 2010

A name reserved for you

English Standard Version (©2001) REV 2:17
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone that no one knows except the one who receives it.’

A new name - you ever wonder about that? What's THAT about? God gives names to people plenty of times - 'Abram' to 'Abraham'. Always designating a new identity and purpose.

This time last year, I lost my baby girl. We had to end her pregnancy and yesterday I cried quietly to myself. I found myself wiping tears away, and the reality of my losses struck me. Michele and I thought we would keep the names we had for our possible future kids, but this week we decided to reserve them for our two children who went to be with God.

'Abigail' and 'Asher' will never be used in our household. They have been used because they were our children. I cannot look at them as a 'number' or a 'statistic'. I will speak of them as though I held them, and I did: in my heart. As a father, the loss of Abigail and Asher strikes me hard. Abigail was more difficult because we had to end the ectopic pregnancy.

Asher means 'rejoicing and strength at the gates'
Abigail meant 'father of exaltation' and 'beauty'. It's the most overlooked character in the bible, and quite possibly the woman who set David back on his path as king because of her reminder of what our destiny can be. For David, it was Abigail who reminded him of God's plan for him to be king when David just literally had a 'moment of meltdown'.

Next week, Thursday we said goodbye to our little Abigail.

Yet, I know Abigail and Asher might be wondering what new name God gave to them. I'll know one day, and God will probably give them better names, but I hope He liked my names.