May 23, 2007

A Victim of Crime

Bound to happen, but didn't think AFTER my honeymoon.

My wife and I discovered my car stereo was stolen when we were going out to dinner.

The driver's side window was smashed and the job was certainly one of amateurs. The dash was brutally ripped apart, and the thieves tried to break into the back door, but apparently got fustrated and decided to break the window with a sharp instrument (too much CSI watching).

When I discovered it - I was not phased. It happens. No one got hurt and that was the best thing.

BUT it did get me charged and worked up to start my very own 'neighborhood' watch program. I personally talked to the tenants in the complex, and found out there were six additional break-ins. iPods, car stereos and misc car valuables were stolen.

The thing about this whole thing? It didn't make me feel bad - it made me wanted to fight back.

You can't be a victim in life. You have to work up your fighter in you and do something. Bad things happen - we live in a Fallen world. Doesn't mean you have to sit still and do nothing about it. So I wrote a crime report and encouraged each tenant to look out for each other and ask the landlord to install more lights around the complex.

Now as a husband - it made me spring into action even more.

Part of me wished I booby-trapped my car, but in the end the beauty of my wife caused me to pray for these individuals and pray God would intervene in their lives.

In this lesson: fight evil with good. Allow the yearn for justice to spur thyself to action that is beneficial for the community, and most importantly embrace the opportunity to be a protector.