Jul 17, 2007

Been awhile

Well, the job search has been slow. The competition here is STIFF. Had to come up with a postcard campaign to get the ball rolling.

*

In the meantime, I got bitten by the golf bug.

I love it. Sports to me has always been a metaphor of life. There are goals, there are trials, there is glory, there is defeat and ultimately victory. Hitting that white ball doesn't seem hard at all, but the degree of body control is precise. I mean if hitting a golf ball was as easy as YOU THINK, we all be TIGER WOODS wouldn't we?

My father in law was surprised how quickly I caught on, but I'm a stickler for proper mechanics. Also I've been taking care of my body most of my life so it serves to transition perhaps easier than others.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED:

1) Imagine a horizontal line from the left to the right of the ball. Keep your swing along that plane.

2) Keep your eyes on the ball.

3) Keep the arms straight, hook the fingers on the grip, on the balls of your feet, and then bring your arms up, then let your hips turn, as you bring your swing down...keep it controlled and smooth. Effortless. Let the hips do the torque.

4) Follow through.

PRACTICE TWO HUNDRED MORE DRIVES.

Good thing golf is cheap here for practices.