Apr 10, 2009

Just so wrong

Injustice.

That's a word that really grips me. Maybe that's why I get into Law and Order. You will find some case that involves a life where justice is not served and it just works you up big time. Fairness can be in a grey zone: Someone gets a job, and another doesn't. That's not justice - it's just life. You can't whine about it.

But injustice, that's something to get worked up about. Sixty Minutes, the television program did a profile of this African American who was imprisoned, by an overzealous Texan district attorney. The D.A. had an impeccable record, until research found out 'he cut corners'. That African American lost years of his life in prison for a crime he didn't commit. He's not bitter, but he got injustice.

Today, in history, there's a theme that happens without anyone saying too much about it: a man condemned to die - even though the court ruled him innocent. The judge sent this man to another fellow judge with the power to release him, and two judges concluded this man should be freed.

Even those dying with him, one of them said, "He doesn't deserve this. We got what was coming, but not him."

It didn't happen that way. The crowd demanded this man die and they got their wish. But it wasn't the crowd that sentence this man to death - it was all of us. That's the amazing part: pure holiness, pure innocence and not one defense by this man on his behalf. He took it all simply because justice had to be paid. He paid the price for something he didn't do so I might be absolved of my failings - my foolishness - my rebellion.

Yes, if I'm really honest it was me, us - why we have a holiday called Good Friday.

The Beatles wrote about the world needing love, but I like to add one more word to that need: forgiveness.