Feb 18, 2008

Pain Threshold......

Ok, I got a cracked tooth, or an exposed root in one of my molars and it hurts like a bat to the kneecap.

Yesterday some cold air enveloped the tooth and I literally just dropped to my knees as a white flash of bolt ran up to my brain.

Intense. My wife almost freaked out seeing my like that.

Of all the pains I felt in the world, an almost severed big toe, a broken nose, four torn ACL ligaments in the knee, a crunch on the crotch...this is by far the most intense and most facinating.

It's amazing to me, and I never would have guessed it - the tooth has some of the most painful nerve triggers ever. I realize that today when I inadvervently put a piece of hot chicken onto the tooth eating soup. It hit me immediately and for the next three seconds I had to wince, and force myself to not black-out at my desk. The pain was so concentrated I had to look back with some morbid facination.

God put alot of sensors in that small enamel cavity.

I never realized pain on this level could be that intense. Many people have said an exposed tooth root is the worse, and I have a fairly high threshold of pain, but this one is the first that makes me wanna blackout when the root is exposed to extreme cold or heat.

I came across this tidbit from a dental board:
"Fractures, punctures, abrasions, and cuts.. all childs play compared to a bad tooth ache. Oddly my ear hurts worse than the tooth thats causing the pain. But folks, im here to tell you: there is worse pain out there. When i was 16 i had a severe burn to 1/3 of my back, and that actually trumped this tooth ache i have now.
Pain scale (1-100):
small metal fragments puncturing skin and lodging deep within-1
skinned knee- 5
cuts- 2
broken toe- 4
back totally screwed throwing a couch across the room-65
severe tooth ache with pain across jaw and into neck- 75
severe burn- 100"

Yeh, hell would certainly be a place that is more painful that an exposed tooth root. I'll take the toothpain for now God...but help me find a dentist quick!! I need a root canal soon!!