Nov 12, 2009

Baby R Us

...ever waited for that school bell to signal the END OF SCHOOL and the beginning of summer?

...ever wait on Christmas morning to get up to presents and the warm atmosphere of the holidays with family and friends?

...ever feel like that scene in Apollo 13 when the entire nation waited to see if the three astronauts would make it back alive?

Yah, that's how I felt when the nurse scoped during the ultra-sound last week and said nothing.

I looked at my wife and we waited. And waited.

I closed my eyes briefly, and silently prayed, Please God, not again.

The nurse check the fallopian tube and then the ovaries on the machine once again. She said nothing. Then she repeated that first scene still in my head when we learned that we had an ectopic pregnancy: constant key movements, and zooming in-out of images of the ultra-sound machine.

Finally, the nurse said something, "Yes...I think we see something." I blinked.

The nurse smiled, "...it's small, but it's there."

We learned we were going to be parents. I blinked away a tear as my throat tighten: a miracle.

Thank you God.

Afterwards I quietly walked with my wife and stared at her face - she was glowing. I kissed her gently on her cheek, "Mother of my child, I love you."

(and that my child is how your journey began: with a miracle)