Nov 28, 2009

Thanksgiving

When bad thing happen, there's revelation. Sometimes sorrows brings a new vision of thankfulness - that clarity you may have forgotten.

I finally had a chance to settle down and write what I am thankful for.

I am thankful for my mother and father-in-law. They drove down early to spend the morning with us during Michele's surgery. They could have stayed at home, but they spent time with us. My mother-in-law is amazing woman, and many days I have deep, deep appreciation for her and the same with my father-in-law: he's an amazing man. A true grandfather who is studying to get his pilot's license, but the amount of wisdom and service he provides to everyone is amazing. I think many times we take people like this granted.

My family. Anytime something bad happens my sisters shine. During this time of sorrow they have stood by me and my parents. My baby sister's calls and my other sister's generosity is always a level of support and comfort I am truly grateful for.

My church family. The amount of phone calls, emails and support offering dinners and meals have been touching. They haven't skirted around the issue - they embraced it and made it their own. People have cried with us...listened to us and extended themselves with love. I am very grateful for a community of friends on this journey of faith.

Ironically, the Facebook friends. The sincerity of it all truly touched me. Al, a man I read about wrote to me and offered both phone numbers (home and cell) to listen to at any hour to Cheryl - a remarkable woman that I didn't know very well, but took time to write beautiful words to comforted my heart. And Tanya - one of those friends that you drop off in contact for years and the moment you communicate it's like where you left off.

My extended in-laws. This Thanksgiving with my nephew and niece brought me back to childhood - life is simpler and care free with more laughter. My nephew made me smile through my sorrows - he reminded me so much of me.

I am thankful for God. His peace and healing in my life is a constant source of re-focus. When the world falls apart, or when the sun shines I know this life isn't about me. It's about Him. He is a source of hope, and purpose.

Lastly, I am thankful for my wife. Life is hard. But the person you have the opportunity to go through life's valleys and mountain peaks is the real privilege of it all.