Nov 10, 2006


Legacy

This morning Michele was crying again - we were talking about her grandmother.

I was telling Michele as to how I was amazed in the simple ways her grandmother's faith endured and left a legacy. Michele wept, and softy through her tears, "You don't realize how much you missed them til their gone."

"But she left so much more ..." as I pointed out.

Michele and I couldn't help but smile weakly at the poems, bibles, letters her grandmother left behind. We laughed at the old 1968 article of how to clean mildew off your luggage to the laminated confirmation message at Michele's baptism and confirmation.

I told Michele, "I hope our children finds our lives filled with legacy not of money, or items, but a legacy of character, faith and hope."

I guess this is one of the reasons beside writing for family and friends, is to leave a legacy of who I am to my children.

***


So, to my child(ren), before you are born:

Before you are born, I wanted to say, how much I wanted to welcome you into this life, and to say how I how proud, am joyful I am that you will coming to this world. I've waited for quite a bit of time to become a father, and you are truly heaven's gift - and I am already praying you know the Creator of this world to whom all majesty and praise belong.

I hope you will realize the beautiful love, bond, and intimacy between a man and woman in marriage is the beautiful bundle of joy a child can be. I'm a bit frighten and insecure of what's to come, but I know the moment I hold you my child, you're going to make this world briefy fade away and take me to a place of miracle. I know alot of diapers are coming, but the many moments of trials will not compare to those brief moments of smiles, laughter and seeing you grow like a seed to a blooming flower.

Your mother and I have prayed for your health, and your soul. I pray you will be a person that will leave and affect this world for good. I hope you live your life with integrity, and know how precious of a soul you are. You are a valued child of mine and the most High God. You will always be loved...even in your times of doubt. Your mother and I have loved you now, and always.

If you're a girl, you will always be daddy's princess, and don't let the world dictate to you your beauty. The eyes, the smile, the personality that you are have crested you to the heavens and you are a princess and always beautiful. Don't let anyone steal your heart, but God. Shine in this world so that people will know what's truly behind your life. I think I'm going to turn into a sack of sobbing mess when I give you away at your wedding. Advance apologies from daddy.

If you're a boy, you will always be daddy's knight, warrior...and I am so proud of you, and love you. You are my son, and you will be a man one day. Make me proud by being a provider, protector and spiritual leader. Don't be a man who lives selfishly, but live as a man who lays down his life for what is good, what is noble, what is just...and love God simply with all your heart. There's nothing in this world you cannot do if you set your mind on it. I hope you are a 'Braveheart'...live for things not seen or touched, but for nobler things. What is said and done here is echoed into eternity. Yeah, daddy stole that from a movie, but I had to pass onto my beloved son.

Lastly, life is not a life worth living without knowing you are forgiven and loved. John 3:16.

And don't take yourself too seriously...laugh at yourself.