Feb 19, 2007

Adventure in babysitting - a sneak peek

Michele and I had an opportunity to go over to her brother's for the weekend and babysit a four year old boy and eleven month girl.

We came back tired and realized having kids at those close of age is extremely demanding, but at the same time for all the hard work there is a joy to parenting.

The challenges: alot of work, not alot of sleep, and the constant demands of younger children. Kids wants to play, bond, learn, explore, and parents constantly have to adjust to this. I think without a doubt that the first three four years are one of the most important foundations emotionally, and relationally for a child.

The rewards: instantly, Michele's niece, Ella melted my heart. There's something wondrous, magical of having a child cradle in your arms and falling asleep. I was sitting in the rocking chair holding this precious cargo and singing her to sleep.

The next morning, I woke up to find her in her cradle giggling, smiling, kicking joyfully at me me.

Children in their innocent pure manner validates us in our souls. They TRUST you. They trust you implicitly 100% and it inspires nobility in us to become unselfish in providing a healthy, moral, loving, and happy environment for them.

Yet upon all this reflection - Michele and I want kids, but we're waiting a year. Building a marriage and getting to know each other is important too. We made a great team, we were tag-teaming watching, playing the kids and swapping to cook meals. I winked at Michele near the end of the weekend, and wrapped my arms around her, "We DO MAKE A GREAT TEAM."